Chiesa della Misericordia (Church of Mercy)

The oldest and most mysterious sacred building

In the centre of the town, perched near the OrsiniCastle

Along the road that leads from the town square to the Orsini castle, you can visit the Church of Mercy. It almost goes unnoticed among the style of the other houses, and certainly does not display all its historical and artistic value at first sight. The church can be admired by visitors thanks to the passionate work and charity of the brotherhood, which is committed to readily explaining its heritage to all.
Given the position in which it was built, it can be said that the Church of Mercy dates from the town’s earliest stages. Its medieval origin is clearly visible from the wall remains found during restoration works carried out in 1984 and 2009.
The exterior has blocks of peperino and tufa arranged in a rectangular shape. The two entrances, one located on the main facade and the other on the left side, were built later in the Renaissance period. The main access door, located on the long side, is made of grey stone with an engraving in the upper central part IHS (Iesus) surrounded by a wreath. A little further to the right is a stone oval engraved in the wall, in which appears a painting of a male face (St John the Baptist) and the writing S. Giov. di Dio. To the left of the entrance is the bell tower, presumably placed in front before the houses were built.
The small church has a single nave. The walls have shades of green while the floor is made of terracotta. The presbytery is raised and covered with peperino slabs. On the opposite side of the church there is a balcony used as a chancel. In one corner you can admire a small hand-carved wooden organ from 1878.

Between history and restoration

Of particular value is the wooden and terracotta ceiling, decorated in the fifteenth century and brought to light through recent restoration work. Also of interest is the high altar, where a painting dedicated to St John the Baptist appears between two marble columns. The 1880 painting on canvas shows the beheading of St John the Baptist.

Other noteworthy works are the eighteenth-century altar of the Madonna of Loreto, on the left, which depicts in a niche the Madonna holding her child against a blue background, and the painting of the Last Supper placed on the right, done in 1714 and mentioning the will of Pietro Basilio.

Altri posti da non perdere

Soriano nel Cimino
Castello Orsini

Santarello
Corviano

Spesa finanziata dalla Regione Lazio Determinazione n. G04816 del 09/05/2016 e s.m.i.
Avviso pubblico “Reti di Imprese tra Attivit√† Economiche su Strada”

Copyright © 2019 Conosci Soriano

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This